[License-discuss] "Fairness" vs. mission objectives

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Feb 25 23:13:28 UTC 2020

Kevin P. Fleming <kevin+osi at km6g.us>:
> Hear hear! I recently had to grant an internal exception to allow
> contributions to Vim because "The Vim License" is not an OSI-approved
> license. I have no doubt that it would be approved were it to be
> submitted, but it has not been as far as I can tell and is unlikely to
> ever be.

Have you considered submitting it yourself?  Can't see any reason you shouldn't.

Brings up another point.  We might want to have a tag we put on new licenses
that says "Not recommended for general use".  Especially for legacy licenses
like this one. We want to recognize them, but we don't want to make the
license-proliferation problem worse.