[License-discuss] For Public Comment: The Libre Source License

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.de
Thu Aug 22 18:55:59 UTC 2019

Johnny A. Solbu dixit:

>On Thursday 22 August 2019 06:17, Howard Chu wrote:
>> Two of these which often appear necessary are the Chinese Dissident
>> test (requirement to publish will endanger them as it makes identi‐
>> fication possible)
>
>I don't believe this test is conclusive. Sending modifications back to the
>code's original author doesn't immediately publish them. And, publication

No. Sending will disclose that they use software X (or that they do
encrypted communication with a person in another country) which can
endanger them. The test is very useful.

>> The requirement to send modifications back doesn't prevent anyone from using the code. You
>> could call it best-effort, or at earliest opportunity.
>
>In Free Software the requirement to send modifications back only
>applies if you distribute your modifications. And you fullfill the

This is wrong. In Free Software, there is no requirement *at all*
to send modifications back.

(Some Free Software has a requirement to pass the modifications
along to the recipient if you distribute the work, but *never*
“back”. This is crucial, see above.)

bye,
//mirabilos
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt