[License-discuss] Open source license with obligation to display an attribution?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Dec 4 22:57:08 UTC 2018

Chris Lamb suggest the adoption of GPLv3 with the following appendage:

>   If you are happy with SimonWidgets, please express that by retaining the
references to SimonCorp. This does not affect your rights under the GPLv3+.

"Happiness" is typically not enforceable as a license condition. (You can,
however, demand it of friends and family.) The expression of happiness in
references to SimonCorp is also not litigable. You say that "This does not
affect your rights under the GPLv3+." Why do you practice GPLv3+ law without
a law license?

If you want to protect SimonCorp and SimonWidgets and their stated licensing
objectives, please don't recommend GPLv3. That license doesn't protect
attribution in derivative works.

/Larry