[License-discuss] Open source license with obligation to display an attribution?

Chris Lamb chris.lamb at opensource.org
Tue Dec 4 22:20:06 UTC 2018

Dear Simon,

> What would make our bosses happy (and thus willing to continue to
> support our contributions) would be: where a site uses our product as
> the primary basis for a publicly-available service, that a gesture of
> acknowledgment is publicly-visible.

Then I suggest you (adopt the GPLv3+ and...) append/prepend any text
that clearly separates it from text of the GPL itself so you aren't
needlessly forking the license and underlines it's optionality.

For example:

  If you are happy with SimonWidgets, please express that by retaining
  the references to SimonCorp. This does not affect your rights under
  the GPLv3+.

Best wishes,

--
Chris Lamb