[License-discuss] FreeAndFair license

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Jun 14 11:48:33 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen at rosenlaw.com> wrote:

I am surprised by offers at GitHub and elsewhere of open source software to
> the public under "either the BSD or the GPL". Take the BSD! It is fully
> compatible with the GPL anyway. Always take the more generous offer of
> software!

I'm not sure if you meant this to go to the public license-discuss list.

Some people are ideologues who refuse to have anything to do with software
under one or another license.  Offering multiple licenses is a strategy
(misguided, in my opinion) to satisfy (some) such ideologues without
alienating others.

        Sound change operates regularly to produce irregularities;
        analogy operates irregularly to produce regularities.
                --E.H. Sturtevant, ca. 1945, probably at Yale