[License-discuss] FAQ entry (and potential website page?) on "why standard licenses"?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Apr 28 15:26:53 UTC 2014

Simon Phipps wrote:

> Mind you, OSI has described itself as a standards body for open source licenses

> for a long time, see http://opensource.org/about (I believe that text used to be

> on the home page).

Perhaps, but that term has thus been misused. There is absolutely nothing about OSI – its governance policies, its procedures, its membership rules, its board selections, or its activities – that would in any sense qualify OSI as a standards organization.

I'm not quarreling with OSI's attempt to get everyone to use approved licenses, but I have long challenged your attempts to steer people toward some subset of those licenses. Especially if you hint that they are in any way, shape or form "standard" licenses.  That's overreach for which you are not legally qualified.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

Rosenlaw & Einschlag ( <http://www.rosenlaw.com/> www.rosenlaw.com)

3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482