[License-discuss] Newbie post: Localisable open source software license

Patrice-Emmanuel Schmitz pe.schmitz at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 22 09:36:03 UTC 2013

Hi Luis,
I believe that you are right when categorizing the EUPL linguistic versions
as mere translation, even if the design of the license is in fact
compatible with porting (i.e. stating that the applicable law and the
competent court are those of the state of the licensor).
Some non-EU organisations (i.e. the state of Quebec in Canada) have planned
a real porting of the EUPL (taking advantage of the 2011/833/EU decision
and reusing the draft v 1.2 in French in that case). They adapted the
license to local law, changed the name of institutions and named it "LPAQ"
(Licence Publique de l'Administration Québécoise).
However, the scope of the rights and the provisions related to
interoperability were not modified at all, which "neutralize" the impact of
license proliferation by making distributions compatible with other well
known copyleft licenses.
P-E.

Patrice-Emmanuel Schmitz
pe.schmitz at googlemail.com