[License-discuss] Acceptable LICENSE citation

Nirk Niggler nirk.niggler at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 15:40:57 UTC 2013

Hello license-discuss!

Lots of people are releasing code under the MIT license, which is great (at
least they remember to apply a license :)

However, I've seen people try to apply it in different ways:

1) just saying "License: MIT" in a README

2) just saying "License: MIT" in the source code

3) attaching a LICENSE file to the repository

4) putting the license text in the README

5) putting the license text in the source code

The MIT license itself explicitly states that the license text must be
included in copies of the software, so option (5) is acceptable.  Are any
of the other options acceptable?  This wouldn't normally strike me as odd,
but some licenses like GPL explicitly permit users to reference the license.