AFL questions

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Jul 19 21:40:14 UTC 2011

I am looking at Academic Free License version 2.1 (which is a choice for
dbus).

What do these clauses mean?

d) to perform the Original Work publicly; and

e) to display the Original Work publicly.

(Note that other clauses mention the "Derivative Works".)

Does this mean I may not use the derivative work outside of in-house? I
may not use a derivative work in any example that is viewed (like a
screenshot or video)?

Clause 3 includes "Licensor hereby agrees to provide a machine-readable
copy of the Source Code of the Original Work along with each copy of the
Original Work that Licensor distributes."

At first read, I thought this was a "copyleft" license. But it doesn't
indicate the derivative work. So you don't have to make your changes
public, but you do have to provide the original code. (Clause 6 mentions
source code for derivative works -- but does not say it has to be
shared.)

Clauses 2 and 4 appear to conflict in regards to granting and not
granting patent rights.

Clause 9 says you should make a reasonable effort to get recipients of
the derivative work to state their agreement with the license. How?

(I also looked at AFL version 3.0.)

  Jeremy C. Reed

echo 'EhZ[h ^jjf0%%h[[Zc[Z_W$d[j%Xeeai%ZW[ced#]dk#f[d]k_d%' | \