AFL questions

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Jul 19 22:07:35 UTC 2011

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I am looking at Academic Free License version 2.1

If it matters, I have deprecated versions of AFL and OSL prior to 3.0. This
is not accurately reflected on the OSI license list (by category), but I've
always thought those categories were somewhat foolish and useless anyway for
choosing a good license.

Regarding AFL, OSL and NOSL 3.0, I recommend that you read
http://www.rosenlaw.com/OSL3.0-explained.pdf.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
Cell: 707-478-8932
Apache Software Foundation, board member and counsel (www.apache.org)
Open Web Foundation, board member (www.openwebfoundation.org)
Stanford University, Instructor in Law
Author, Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and Intellectual Property
Law (Prentice Hall 2004)