Question on using apache and lgpl license

Donovan Hawkins hawkins at cephira.com
Mon Aug 17 02:55:36 UTC 2009

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, David Woolley wrote:

> Neo Anderson wrote:
>>
>> 2. You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices
> + stating that You changed the files; and
>
> If the licences are compatible, and the overall product is LGPL, obeying the
> LGPL should be sufficient.  In this case, including an appropriate copyright
> notices, as required by the LGPL, would, I suspect, be sufficient, i.e. add
> yourself to the list of copyright owners for the file.

Section 7 of GPL v3 allows certain limited types of restrictions beyond
what the GPL contains, one of which (7c) includes "requiring that modified
versions of such material be marked in reasonable ways as different from
the original version." This section is what enables GPL to be compatible
with permissive licenses that contain minor variations in how they handle
attribution and disclaimers. The terms in the upstream permissive license
which are not directly handled by GPL become additional terms via section
7 (otherwise the original license would be violated).

As LGPL v3 is just a set of additional terms added to GPL v3, the same
applies to it. Effectively the program in question is not being licensed
under vanilla LGPL v3, it is being licensed under LGPL v3 + additional
terms introduced by the Apache license. Those terms continue to require
change notices in all modified files, though the OP is only required to do
this for the files that were originally under the Apache license.

Donovan Hawkins, PhD                 "The study of physics will always be
Software Engineer                     safer than biology, for while the
hawkins at cephira.com                   hazards of physics drop off as 1/r^2,
http://www.cephira.com                biological ones grow exponentially."