Automatic GPL termination

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 15:31:24 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Arnoud Engelfriet <arnoud at engelfriet.net> wrote:

> Speak for your own country, USAnian. In civil law Europe,
> conditional licenses are contracts, period.

I would add that we have recently seen a court conclude the same thing
here.  Furthermore, if the GPL were *not* a bilateral contract, arguments
that one should seek specific performance (to make people live up to their
end of the bargain) wouldn't be safe.  THe most you could argue for would be
an injunction.

IANAL, though.

In short the whole world (other than RIck, the FSF, and a few others), know
that the GPL is a bilateral contract which gives someone certain rights in
exchange for certain performances on their part.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers