Automatic GPL termination

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 13:38:51 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, Arnoud Engelfriet <arnoud at engelfriet.net> wrote:
> dlw wrote:
> > The whole World knows that the GPL is a *license* not a *contract*. Some
> > of the most respected copyright experts
> > in the open source world have repeatedly affirmed this fundamental legal
> > principle.
>
> Speak for your own country, USAnian. In civil law Europe,
> conditional licenses are contracts, period.

<quote>

I firmly disagree with that position ...  I ultimately regard these
believes as narrow-minded and foolish, it belongs to half a dozen law
professors around the world, each of whom should check his cards
again, and it's all "he".

</quote>

Source: "one of the world's leading experts on copyright law as
applied to software" (http://lwn.net/Articles/242123/)

http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3/barcelona-moglen-transcript.es.html

Eben "I can change the rules" Moglen.

regards,
alexander.

--
"PJ points out that lawyers seem to have difficulty understanding the
GPL. My main concern with GPLv3 is that - unlike v2 - non-lawyers can't