Followup on Exhibit B licences

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Mar 7 02:46:58 UTC 2007

Timothy McIntyre wrote:

Wherever software distribution is mentioned in the license, we added the
phrase "or otherwise makes available," in order to cover passive types of
distribution, such as with ASPs.  This modification to the MPL also appears
in the CDDL.

I'm curious why you believe that the phrase "or otherwise makes available"
is sufficient to plug the ASP loophole and to require that the source code
of internal modifications of licensed software must be disclosed simply
because the software is accessed over a network? Is that phrase clearly
defined in the CDDL? Or is there some commonly understood meaning that is
found in legal authorities? Your interpretation may be surprising to Sun
(who owns the CDDL) and its customers, who probably do not expect that
CDDL-licensed software is subject to an ASP provision. Perhaps one of Sun's
attorneys here can clear this up.

There is already before the courts a case dealing with the meaning of
"distribution" in the context of music downloads. I found the following
article by Ray Beckerman informative: "Is 'Making Available' Copyright
Infringement?"
http://www.hollywoodreporteresq.com/thresq/spotlight/article_display.jsp?vnu
_content_id=1003535810. I'm not sure how relevant this point is, but it may
be that your interpretation of the phrase comes closer to the RIAA position
than that of EFF, which would be unusual for open source. Perhaps it would
avoid confusion if the CDDL and similar licenses defined what they mean by
"otherwise makes available" and not leave it to interpretation.

That is why OSL 3.0 is explicit:

5) External Deployment. The term "External Deployment" means the use,
distribution, or communication of the Original Work or Derivative Works in
any way such that the Original Work or Derivative Works may be used by
anyone other than You, whether those works are distributed or communicated
to those persons or made available as an application intended for use over a
network. As an express condition for the grants of license hereunder, You
must treat any External Deployment by You of the Original Work or a
Derivative Work as a distribution under section 1(c).

/Larry Rosen

  _____