Followup on Exhibit B licences

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Mar 7 02:12:12 UTC 2007

Timothy McIntyre wrote:

> When we were deciding on our license,
> we wanted to address the ASP loophole, so we ended up revising the
> original language of the MPL.  Wherever software distribution is
> mentioned in the license, we added the phrase "or otherwise makes
> available," in order to cover passive types of distribution, such as
> with ASPs.  This modification to the MPL also appears in the CDDL.

The relevant clause is:

"ANY COVERED CODE THAT YOU DISTRIBUTE OR OTHERWISE MAKE AVAILABLE IS
GOVERNED BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION
SECTION 2.2. THE SOURCE CODE VERSION OF COVERED CODE MAY BE DISTRIBUTED
ONLY UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE"

I think "otherwise make available" is just supposed to mean putting on a
 server for *download* or similar.  I've never heard of someone using
CDDL to require code distribution in an ASP situation.  However, the
CDDL clause is slightly different:

"Any Covered Software that You distribute or otherwise make available in
Executable form must also be made available in Source Code form and that
Source Code form must be distributed only under the terms of this License."

The extra "Executable form" may change things, but I don't think so.

Matt Flaschen