Introducing Open Solutions Alliance

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sat Feb 17 03:36:00 UTC 2007

Michael Bernstein wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 18:29 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
>>
>>  I told two of their
>>> people -- and SourceForge.net dude Ross Turk also said -- that we think
>>> the membership criterion should be that a company's main products or
>>> services are open source, and when we say "open source," we mean open
>>> source as defined by OSI.
>> That's doubly ironic, since SourceForge doesn't seem to have any real
>> open source products.
> But of course there is now more than one open source fork of the
> original system available (Gforge, Savannah).

Right, but the fact that these forks were necessary (because the product
became proprietary) hardly reflects well on SourceForge.

> I think that the only OSTG site that continues to maintain and release
> on an ongoing basis the current version of the code that they are
> running is Slashdot:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/slashcode/

My guess is that's only because no corporate customer would want a
slashdot-like site.

> Is this enough to get SourceForge / OSTG / VA Software a pass?

Not as an open source company, no.  OSTG isn't earning their $10,000
Open Solutions membership fee off slashcode, and that isn't the project
they joined as.

Matthew Flaschen