Take 3: Editors and Trackers

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 23:13:11 UTC 2007

Thank you for taking the time to replay.

On Dec 3, 2007 2:06 PM, Ernest Prabhakar <ernest.prabhakar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think everyone has raised some valid points.  In general, we should
> err on the side of openness. On the other hand, Open Source is
> particularly vulnerable to individauls pushing a particular viewpoint
> that could lead to all sort of confusion. We don't want the wiki to be
> as chaotic as this list!

Agreed.  Obviously the goal is to create a better resource for developers
and so developers and other interested parties need to be able to have their
say.

> Right now, the wiki can only be edited by the Board and Observers, so
> a good _first step_ is opening it up to a pool of well-known editors.
> Hopefully, with *their help* -- and feedback from the list -- we can
> figure out how to safely open it up to a wider audience.  This will
> probably require some combination of policies and tools, so we
> appreciate your patience.

Sure.  Just a couple of points-- there are some decisions which need to be
made by OSI here including:
1)  Wiki vs CMS (I would argue CMS's address point 2 below better) and
2)  How to balance openness with control.

Obviously Rome wasn't built in a day.  But at the same time, discussing the
concepts and what we want to get out of it is something that is best done
now :-)

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers