Take 3: Editors and Trackers

Ernest Prabhakar ernest.prabhakar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 22:06:36 UTC 2007

Hi all,

On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:40 PM, Chris Travers wrote:
> The goal ought to allow community-contributed content, but have it
> reviewed, edited, and approved prior to being added to the resources.
>
> Having run wikis and light-weight public CMS's I will say that
> registration does not prevent spam, nor does it prevent people from
> pushing their own views and pretending they are those of the OSI.
> Given the views of some members of this list, I would think this
> would be obvious.

I think everyone has raised some valid points.  In general, we should
err on the side of openness. On the other hand, Open Source is
particularly vulnerable to individauls pushing a particular viewpoint
that could lead to all sort of confusion. We don't want the wiki to be
as chaotic as this list!

Right now, the wiki can only be edited by the Board and Observers, so
a good _first step_ is opening it up to a pool of well-known editors.
Hopefully, with *their help* -- and feedback from the list -- we can
figure out how to safely open it up to a wider audience.  This will
probably require some combination of policies and tools, so we
appreciate your patience.

Thanks!

-- Ernie P.
OSI Board Observer