license categories, was: I'm not supposed to use the ECL v2?

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 02:36:53 UTC 2007

On Dec 2, 2007 6:22 PM, John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:

> Lawrence Rosen scripsit:
>
> > I don't believe that. If my choice is between License A and License B, I
> > can't pick and choose some combination of provisions from A and B to
> create
> > my own preferred set of terms. I get either A or B, but not both.
>
> Well, in that case how is it possible, given a work issued under the GPLv2
> or later, to issue a derivative work which is still under GPLv2 or later?
> Clearly the derivator is not making a choice here.

I am not sure what you mean by that.  If you take your work and license it
under the GPL v2 or later, I can make a derivative work and choose any of
the following licensing choices:
1)  GPL v2 only.
2)  GPL v3 only.
3)  GPL v2 or later.
4)  GPL v3 or later.

I can also add any additional permissions to any portions of the code that I
right (including linking exceptions and the like) and these are handled
differently by the two versions.   In short there is a lot of choice
available, and not changing anything doesn't imply not making a choice.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers