MS-PL/GPL compatibility, was Re: For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Thu Aug 23 21:19:10 UTC 2007

Chris Travers wrote:
> However, does it mean that I can only license the ISO image as a whole under
the MS-PL

IANAL.  However, you only hold a compilation copyright on the ISO.  When
you license this, you are not licensing any code (if you do own code in
the ISO, that would be licensed separately from the compilation), only
your arrangement/selection of the various programs.

> If I license the
> ISO image under the MS-PL, does this affect the GPL components on the ISO?

No.  Again, the ISO image license only applies to compilation copyright,
and not to the actual programs included.

Matt Flaschen