MS-PL/GPL compatibility, was Re: For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 21:09:50 UTC 2007

On 8/23/07, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:

> > What about a copyright to a compilation of source code works, such as an
> ISO
> > image of a CD containing code from separate MS-PL and GPL applications.
>
> No, because the CD or compilation of unrelated software wouldn't be a
> derivative work.

That was not my question.  If I create an ISO image of a collection of
source works, that may effectively be copyrighted by me and is outside the
scope of the GPL v3 as you point out.

However, does it mean that I can only license the ISO image as a whole under
the MS-PL because otherwise you have a license conflict.  If I license the
ISO image under the MS-PL, does this affect the GPL components on the ISO?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers