License Approval

Wilson, Andrew andrew.wilson at intel.com
Tue Aug 8 05:19:29 UTC 2006

David Dillard wrote:

> I believe that violates item #1 (free redistribution) of the Open
Source
> Definition (http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php).
>
> Do you have to *require* people to contact you?  Would it be enough to
> ask (outside of the license) that they contact you?

Dave's point is well taken; is there any reason why you can't use
whichever OSI-approved license seems most apt, along with a simple
request
to give you copies of any improvements?

This list has not been kind in the past to licenses with mandatory
feedback from contributors to the initial developer.  Along with the
question about
OSD #1 compliance, such licenses raise daunting practical compliance
problems.  When, exactly, must you give the ID a feedback version --
every
time you change a single line?  Only for major releases of your
modified version?  Once a year on Walpurgis night?  You
see the difficulty in practice.

Andy Wilson
Intel Open Source Technology Center