License Approval

Matthew Flaschen superm40 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 12 17:48:55 UTC 2006

In fact, people may be more likely to respond to a polite request than a
  toothless demand.  As Debian (with their Desert Island test) and
Richard Stallman have realized, required notification can also create
practical problems.  What happens if the university ceases to exist?
Can people still create modified versions if there is no one to notify?
  FOSS software should still be usable when the original contributor
disappears.  This has already happened in several cases; people have
been able to continue developing the abandoned programs only becaues
licenses did not have clauses like this.

Matthew Flaschen