compatibility and the OSD

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 22 23:08:18 UTC 2004

Quoting Bob Scheifler (Bob.Scheifler at Sun.COM):

> The AAL requirement isn't just to include a notice in the distribution;
> the program must display it when run. That seems to me to effectively
> preclude distribution of binary derivative works that are intended for
> use in embedded systems where "there is no there there" to display such
> an attribution.

You know, in the extremely unlikely event that anyone ever _uses_ AAL
and creates an executable that produces no output (embedded system, etc.),
I'll bet just running it such that it would have produced a splash
screen if there _had_ been an output screen would suffice to avoid the
Wrath of Judge.

Is this really worth spending time on?  Or can we just all agree that
it's an obnoxious, non-starter licence and move on?