STWL: please comment

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Nov 11 17:26:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004/11/11 (MST), <bfastenrath at mac.com> wrote:

> I decided to add paragraph 5 to the STWL to prevent patent
> claims against open source software: please comment.
>      3. You make an attempt to promote the use of this software [...]
>      4. You agree to be of assistance at least twice [...]
>      5. If you are owner of software patents you agree to refrain from
> any legal action based on infringement of your intellectual property
> claims against users of open source software and concerning open source
> software as defined by the Open Source Initiative (OSI).

This is still incomplete, IMO. Can you add a few more paragraphs requiring
software users not to support preemptive war strikes, environment
destruction, and domestic violence? The list can get rather long, but
perhaps you can generalize along these lines:

        6. If you are a bad person, you make at least two attempts to
become better.
        7. If you vote, you agree to refrain from voting for bad people.

This approach should make Spam The World License complete and OSI would
not have to approve  multiple revisions of it. Renaming the license into
something like Force The World Into Happiness License may be a good idea.

Alex.