legal issues under GPL

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 5 18:36:38 UTC 2003

Quoting Howard Katz (howardk at fatdog.com):

[You'd like to retain the option to dual-license your codebase.]

> Accordingly, while I very much want to encourage people to submit bug
> reports and patches, I also want to maintain sole ownership of the product.
> I understand that copyright might become complicated if I allow outside
> contributions, and I want to make sure I understand all the legal issues of
> doing so. Can anybody provide me pointers to further information on this
> topic?

(I'm not a lawyer.  This is not legal advice.)

Indeed, it's my understanding that, in the USA, assignments of copyright
must indeed be in a prescribed written form, to become effective per the
Copyright Act.  Other jurisdictions might differ.  Searching Google for
"assignment copyright form gpl" brings up a number of projects' standard
copyright-assignment forms.  You might wish to pattern yours after
Ximian's, for example, downloadable here:
http://developer.ximian.com/projects/evolution/contributing.html

--
Cheers,                      Always remember:  Clones are people two!
Rick Moen
rick at linuxmafia.com