legal issues under GPL

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Mar 5 19:16:06 UTC 2003

Rick Moen scripsit:

> (I'm not a lawyer.  This is not legal advice.)

Me either.

> Indeed, it's my understanding that, in the USA, assignments of copyright
> must indeed be in a prescribed written form, to become effective per the
> Copyright Act.

Not prescribed, just written.  Any written form will do.

> Other jurisdictions might differ.

Indeed.  AFAICT, the Berne Convention
(http://www.law.cornell.edu/treaties/berne/overview.html) is silent on the point.

--
They do not preach                              John Cowan
  that their God will rouse them                jcowan at reutershealth.com
    A little before the nuts work loose.        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
They do not teach                               http://www.reutershealth.com
  that His Pity allows them                         --Rudyard Kipling,
    to drop their job when they damn-well choose.   "The Sons of Martha"