legal issues under GPL

Howard Katz howardk at fatdog.com
Wed Mar 5 17:44:44 UTC 2003

I'm a nubie both to this list and to this topic. Please let me know if
there's a more appropriate place for this inquiry. Thanks.

I provide a query-engine product under GPL. GPL appeals because I can
provide the codebase for free to those who don't mind the GPL licensing
restrictions, and I can also dual-license the code to those who wish to keep
their own codebase proprietary.

Accordingly, while I very much want to encourage people to submit bug
reports and patches, I also want to maintain sole ownership of the product.
I understand that copyright might become complicated if I allow outside
contributions, and I want to make sure I understand all the legal issues of
doing so. Can anybody provide me pointers to further information on this
topic?

TIA,
Howard