license idea

Ian Lance Taylor ian at airs.com
Wed Jul 16 17:47:16 UTC 2003

"Don Jarrell" <don at digitalthinkinginc.com> writes:

> What I offer as
> an alternative thinking approach is "not yet soup"; it
> is just what I have been discussing with a few licensing
> buddies.

I have a different alternative: use an existing OSI approved license.

If you can't use an existing license, then your first step should not
be to write a license, but instead to write to the list and explain
clearly why no existing license will work for your situation.  People
on the list will then say one of the following:
1) actually, license X satisfies your needs; or
2) you're right, there is no current license for your needs, but what
   you want to do would be OSI approved, so go ahead and write a
   license; or
3) you're right, there is no current license for your needs, because
   what you want to do would not be OSI approved.

Ian