license idea

Don Jarrell don at digitalthinkinginc.com
Wed Jul 16 17:14:15 UTC 2003

I think all the feedback on this license is great and
on-point.  I want to comment on the broader perspective
of how you got headed in this direction. And, IANAL,
TINLA. Amen.

We have seen many licenses on this list (and I have seen
even more from clients, potential clients and "social
affiliates") that similarly miss some OSD tenets
(frequently the non-discrimination), and strike a similar
chord fundamentally.  Seems like you started out from
a socio-political statement, eschewing the greed of
"others", massive revenue and control, while trying
to maintain some revenue and control for yourself. Then
you tried to glue on the OSD tenets.  What I offer as
an alternative thinking approach is "not yet soup"; it
is just what I have been discussing with a few licensing
buddies.

Start thinking about writing a *proprietary* license
(they usually don't discriminate against anyone who will
pay the fee, and have no overt political theme). Then:

- take out the prohibition against redistribution
- take out the prohibition against modification
- set the price you want for direct licensees (could be $0)
- forget about any binding contractual effect

You're 90% of the way home.  Add a pinch of salt, and
re-read the OSD, the copyright act, and Georgia-Pacific
v US Plywood. (just kidding)  You do need to consider:
- requirements that mods be provided to licensor
- bounds, if any, on what constitutes "distribution"
- jurisdiction
- (maybe) the patent 'thingy'
- projection of the license terms upon distribution of
  derivative works
- maybe a few other fine points (as for the disclaimers
  of warranty and liability, those are pretty much the
  same as in most proprietary licenses anyway)

I ABSOLUTELY do not wish to take away anything from the
OSD or OSI. (Larry and I are co-presenting at a conference
in September).  Or, the GPL for that matter.  It is just
that when you start with a paradox of interests, as I
believe you did, it is difficult to get away from it.

Writing a license is not as easy as some believe. Many
of the contributors here are well qualified to develop
licenses with great legal bases AND effective treatment
of needs in business, social responsibility, and good
ol' sustenance.  I strongly recommend studying the
various leading flavors of available licenses and picking
one of those.  Though, such discussions are great brain
exercise, and much of what you crafted you looks good.

Cheers.     dj

Don B Jarrell                don at digitalthinkinginc.com
Digital Thinking Inc.        512 266 7126        office
www.digitalthinkinginc.com   972 467 6793        mobile