request for approval of APOSSL

dave sag dave.sag at pronoic.com
Tue Mar 5 20:08:52 UTC 2002

At 2:57 PM -0500 5/3/02, John Cowan wrote:
>dave sag wrote:
>
>>># 4. The names "Pronoic", or "pronoic.org" must be used to endorse and
>>>#   promote products derived from this software before obtaining
>>>#   written permission.
>

>>No. There is no requirement to use the term pronoic unless you get
>>written permission to do so.
>

>For Ghu's sake, read what you have written.  You say "must be used".
>Do you actually mean "must not be used"?  There's a big, big difference!
>It now sounds like you want to forbid people to use the names without
>permission (which is quite legitimate; they are de facto trademarks),
>but urge them to obtain permission.

sorry for the confusion.  you are absolutely right and when i re-read
it is not what i meant at all.

><snip>
>Writing a license is like writing code: you are talking to a very
>literal-minded individual who will do just what you say.  Which is
>why not everyone can write code, and not everyone can write a
>usable license.

yep and the feedback i am getting from you and forrest is quickly
helping me polish this so that it still is an expression of the
meaning, but makes sense to people too. I am very grateful to both of
you.

here is now v1.2 amended accordingly.

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  *
  *		APOSSL : A Pronoic Open Source Software License
  *
  *					 Version 1.2
  *
  *			Copyright (c) 2001-2002 Pronoic Ltd, UK
  *				All rights reserved
  *
  *
  * For the purposes of this licence, the lower case use of the word
  * "pronoic" either within or without the use of quotes, shall mean the
  * belief that forces are conspiring to make life better for you.
  * The Canonised version of the word "Pronoic", either within, or
  * without quotes, shall be taken to mean Pronoic Ltd a company registered
  * in the UK and whose information is available at http://www.pronoic.com
  *
  * are met:
  *
  *
  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
  *    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
  *    distribution.
  *
  * 3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if
  *    any, must include the following acknowlegement:
  *
  *       "This product includes software developed by
  *        Pronoic people (http://www.pronoic.org/)."
  *
  *    Alternatively, this acknowledgement may appear in the software itself,
  *    if and wherever such third-party acknowledgements normally appear.
  *
  * 4. The term pronoic should be used to endorse and promote products derived
  *    from this software before obtaining written permission. For written
  *    permission, you must contact contact at pronoic.org.
  *
  * 5. Products derived from this software will always be pronoic, but
  *    the words "pronoic.org" or "Pronoic" may not appear in their names
  *    without prior written permission of Pronoic Ltd.
  *
  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED
  * WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
  * OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
  * DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL PRONOIC LTD NOR ANY CONTRIBUTOR
  * BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
  * SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
  * LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF
  * USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
  * ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
  * OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT
  * OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
  * SUCH DAMAGE.
  *
  * This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
  * individuals on behalf of Pronoic Ltd, and associated teams.  For more
  * information on pronoic phenomena, please see <http://www.pronoic.org/>.
  *
  * Please derive new Software Licences from this licence at your leisure.
  *
  */