request for approval of APOSSL

Forrest J Cavalier III forrest at mibsoftware.com
Tue Mar 5 17:37:18 UTC 2002

> pronoic is a word (albeit a made up word) meaning the opposite of
> paranoic.  it is also a name, but so is apple, and netscape and
> apache.  they can use their name in their own licences.

Undefined words no place in legal documents.

If a made up word appears, or is offset in "" it will be
assumed to be a name or a trademark.

Captilization differences in names are a pretty thin edge
to hang an argument on in a court of law.

When read that way, the only way to comply is to get
written permission.  The OSD conflict is that you cannot
require written permission.  That is what I meant when
I write there was conflict.

BTW, as I understand it, there are important reasons that
you never want your trademarkable name to have a defined
meaning.  I mention this because if you try to solve the
license conflicst by defining "pronoic" and you are successful
in propagating your meme, then I think you be unable to
protect a trademark on the company name or software.

Forrest

P.S. the "name" vs "description" distinction is amusing to
anyone who knows Douglas Hofstadters writings.  You get a
wink and a nodm from the geeks here.  But they don't belong
in a legal document.