Intel's proposed BSD + Patent License

DIETRICH Yann FTRD/VAT/ISS yann.dietrich at rd.francetelecom.com
Wed Oct 31 09:49:09 UTC 2001

what is the policy of opensource about patents ? and such license in
opensource license ? what is the way ?
I think it is important to integrate patents issues in such license. In
fact, the main risk for a patent holder is not about licensing business but
to not exhaust its patent rights in a non delimited field. I think that a
lot of patent holder will be agree to grant license for use in the "
opensource " field but not in the traditional business field, that is the
purpose of the limitation of Intel, i think. But, the problem with BSD, or
in my case with LGPL, is that such software can be integrated in a
traditionnal commercial software, and in this case, patent holder would like
to have money. And not if the software is integrated in an opensource
software .. ... finally, most of big companies will enter in opensource
process if they have solutions to manage such issues, I think and it can be
great for the developement of opensource software, no ???

regards,

Yann Dietrich
IP/Licensing Legal Counsel
France Telecom R&D / VAT