Intel's proposed BSD + Patent License

Laura Majerus LMajerus at fenwick.com
Wed Oct 31 02:42:04 UTC 2001

I'll jump in here, not to defend or explain the patent system (heaven
forfend I even try that on this list!), but to point out that 35 U.S.C.
sect. 273 offers some potential relief in the situation you describe.  It's
intended to provide a defense to people who were commercially using a
patented business method more than a year prior to the patent's filing.
It's a confusing and complicated law and has not seen wide use (yet).

Laura A. Majerus
Fenwick & West LLP
2 Palo Alto Square
Palo Alto, CA 94306