OSD #1 proposed change

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at mibsoftware.com
Wed Nov 14 05:58:54 UTC 2001

bruce at perens.com wrote:
[snip]

> It still makes a _wonderful_ manifesto, its success speaks for that. But to
> apply it blindly would be foolhardy. I imagine that there is an unbounded set
> of licenses that appear to be OSD-compliant yet are so pernicious in their
> terms as to be outside of the spirit of the OSD.

If I've read recent messages correctly, the current feeling of the
board is shifting towards being able to reject licenses submitted
for approval only based on the letter of the OSD, not the spirit as
was the original intent.

If that is so, I propose rewording OSD #1, consistent with Bruce's
reply.

Currently OSD #1 reads:
         The license shall not restrict any party from selling
         or giving away the software as a component of an
         aggregate software distribution containing programs
         from several different sources. The license shall
         not require a royalty or other fee for such sale.

I propose it be changed to:
         The license shall not restrict any party from selling
         or giving away copies of the software, either separately
         or as a component of an aggregate software distribution
         containing programs from several different sources. The
         license shall not require a royalty or other fee to make
         or use such copies.