Open source shareware?

Matthew C. Weigel weigel+ at pitt.edu
Thu Nov 8 21:26:52 UTC 2001

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, John Cowan wrote:

> > (Such a license would need the added disclaimer that modifications
> > that bypassed the click-through were banned).
>
> Well, the OSD prohibits such banned modifications, I think,
> except for the "modification" of removing or altering the
> license.

Yes.  As I recall, we had such a license submitted, and turned down,
some time ago.

My sense is that it might not be open source, but any derivative work
of it can be (since neither the payment requirement, nor any licensing
erquirement, was extended to derivative works).

I think that any restrictions on use that require execution of
additional terms is a problem.  In this case, requiring a license fee
after thirty days is a problem - alternatively, the author could simply
not provide the code under that license until the fee was paid, but he
could not require that licensees require the same fee be paid before
*they* distribute the software.
--
 Matthew Weigel
 Research Systems Programmer