lesser GPL restrictions

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at greymalkin.yi.org
Thu Nov 8 15:17:59 UTC 2001

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 05:29:30PM +0100, DeBug wrote:
> However if your competitor try to own the customers (let's say
> buy patenting algorithm you developed) then it really becomes a problem.
> Yeah. This is what i want to avoid. If i put my work in public domain
> i am not garanteed noone will restict the use of my work. On the other
> hand i want to make sure that even i will not change my mind and try
> to restrict the customers. Licenses does not resolve the problem

The GNU GPL solves this problem.

Once someone has a copy of the software under the GNU GPL (or LGPL) it is
irrevocable. You can license future releases of the software in a
proprietary way if you change your mind (alien abduction, for instance),
however, the software can still evolve because _NO_ONE_ has absolute control
over it (unless one has the one single copy of it).

Hugs, rms