copyrights

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Tue Nov 6 16:54:47 UTC 2001

DeBug wrote:

> One more question
> If i decide to do not copyright my software
> does it mean that someone else can later copyright it
> In other words do i have to explicitly state -
> "THIS SOFTWARE IS NOT COPYRIGHTABLE"

There is no such thing as software which is not copyrighted,
unless it exists only in your imagination.  As soon as a text
of any sort is written down, unless it is a mere alphabetical
list of words or such, it is inherently copyrighted by the
author.

And no, what you don't claim copyright on cannot be
copyrighted by another person.  Those two sisters who
hold copyright on "Happy Birthday To You", do so because
they *wrote* the song.

--
Not to perambulate             || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>
    the corridors               || http://www.reutershealth.com