Intel's proposed BSD + Patent License

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Fri Nov 2 13:49:02 UTC 2001

Stamnes, Michelle wrote:

> Yes, you can use this software with FreeBSD. FreeBSD is subject to the BSD
> license, so you have no patent license for the original code.

I'm sorry, but this seems to be a contradiction in terms.  If there is
an Intel patent on the art of which this software is an expression, then
*using* the software with FreeBSD is precisely what we cannot do
without becoming scofflaws.

Russell Nelson writes:

> Why bother?  Why not simply decide in your own head that, if you ever
> give away a copy of your FreeBSD, you'll do so under the GPL.  Poof,
> instant GPL'ed operating system.

I missed this one before.  GPL-ing FreeBSD in your head doesn't
meet the patent licensing rules of the Intel license, which requires
actual *distribution* of the OS under the GPL.

--
Not to perambulate             || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>
    the corridors               || http://www.reutershealth.com