OWL short explanation

mirabilos eccesys at topmail.de
Wed May 2 11:06:54 UTC 2001

Okey,
again this try of a License and a short explanation.

First a conclusion:
The license allows the customer the usage, distribution etc. as usual
and is similar to the LGPL. But its inclusion into the source files
usually consists of one line (for me), such as
; (c) mirabilos; All rights reserved - License is in separate file
And if I package e.g. a source code and distribute it via http as
"verbatim" package, no-one may alter (e.g. convert from .lzh to .zip
or .tgz) it without changing "verbatim" to "original". Patches may be
added, then it's even not "original" except if the patches are
distributed separately along the package (verbatim, too).
I've read through the OSD four or five times and cannot find a point
in the current release my license does not complain to.

I acknowledge that you've no much time but IMO it's not so much work to
add a compliant license, and then I can put my current work to sf.

Now the annotated OWL (open work license):
(Note the semicolones are comment signs in assembly language)

;Any work referring to this License is copyrighted work and intellectual
;property of its author, the following person if not stated differently.
; Copyright (c) mirabilos[TM] <eccesys at topmail.de>
; All rights reserved; Lex Occultae Germanorum infertum sit
;If different or additional people put their work under this License, in
;the file referring to the License this must be explicitly stated.

So the license file doesn't need to be altered; in fact it mustn't.

;If additional licensing terms are subject to be applied to work covered
;by this License it MUST be EXPLICITLY stated on a PER-FILE base and CAN
;NOT be implied e.g. by Service Provider Terms of Usage, in which hereby
;contrary sections shall become VOID!

Hotmail - no further comment

;In no event shall author or contributors, subsequently addressed by we,
;be liable for any damage or malfunction caused by the work which hereby
;is provided "AS IS" and without warranty of any kind. If using the work
;you accept to be bound to this License and never will sue us over it.

Usual disclaimer

;Only the original bitstream of a package created by mirabilos is marked
;as "verbatim" under this License, any other package will only be called
;"original" (if unchanged). Nobody shall ever alter the License in ipso.

1) See above. 2) protection of the 2048 bytes this License consists of.

;You may copy, use, distribute, include the original work in any manner.
;You may modify it and then copy, distribute... the modificated work de-
;pending on retaining this License (file) with it.

Usual.

;You may include it originally or modificated in work you created and to
;which this License does not apply, however it still fully covers any of
;the new work taken over from the work protected by this License, and it
;covers modifications you did to it. You must remark a Copyright line in

See LGPL

;order to show you have contributed to it. If no Copyright line has been
;in the file you also must add one for mirabilos. On request source code
;of any work covered by this License must be made available if exists.

if exists -> there is work for which no source code exists, e.g. binary
font glyph data in raw format (e.g. 4096 bytes 8x16 font for DOS)

;If you are inspired by our work you are forbidden to claim intellectual
;property on work done afterwards. However you still ought to credit us.

1) I don't wish anyone to read my programme which uses a newly created
e.g. cipher algorithm which I won't patent, re-implement the same
algo from scratch and THEN patent it by himself.
2) But it IS allowed if he refuses from patenting it.
He doesn't need but should credit me/the author(s) and contributors.

-mirabilos
--
EA F0 FF 00 F0 #$@%CARRIER LOST