IPL as a burden

Dave J Woolley david.woolley at bts.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 12:11:06 UTC 2001

> From:	Mark Hatch [SMTP:mhatch at ics.com]
>
> shown that it will prove profitable enough to attract and maintain the
> commercial application base that I believe Linux needs to be successful.

I think you are defining "successful" as actually meaning
"commercially profitable".  I think one of the things that originally
made "free" software good was that it wasn't written with
profitability and revenue stream considerations in mind, and
I have some concerns that companies like RH will become more and
more like Microsoft - you can already see it in the marketing
language on their web sites.