License Approval Process

Nils Lohner lohner at hew.ecf.teradyne.com
Mon Feb 14 09:00:48 UTC 2000

In message <25415.950486814 at kanga.nu>, J C Lawrence writes:
>On Sun, 13 Feb 2000 18:40:26 -0500
>Rafi M Goldberg <rafimg at usa.net> wrote:
>
>> Join the club, Scott.  I submitted a license months ago and
>> haven't heard a thing.  Others have had similar experiences as
>> well.  In fact, I don't think any new licenses have been approved
>> under the certification program.
>
>> It is unfortunate that the powers that be @ opensource.org only
>> seem to be interested in gaining the support of large corporations
>> and those who decide to just use an existing license...  I hope
>> that's not actually the case, but it doesn't look good.
>
>I would suggest emailling the principles directly (ESR and Perens)
>in the case of slow response.

  Another good list for getting licenses discussed (someone already
mentioned RMS) is the debian-legal at lists.debian.org mailing list.  The
criteria there are 'DFSG Free' however; but since the OSD evolved from this
(and the original DFSG were mostly written by Bruce) they are quite similar.

Regards, Nils.

Nils Lohner                             E-Mail: lohner at debian.org
Debian Project                          Web: http://www.debian.org/