Dynamic and Static Linking

David Starner dstarner98 at aasaa.ofe.org
Tue Apr 4 05:16:24 UTC 2000

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 08:53:00PM -0700, David Johnson wrote:
> I'm also curious about what you consider to be the "moral issue". I
> would consider it wrong to use code in a way the author does not want
> you to use it. But I have no other indication of what the author wants
> beyond the text of the GPL.

But that's not true in many cases. For instance, anything RMS wrote. And
even in the cases which it is true, (something I wrote, say) you can often
ask the author. Otherwise, if the author really wanted you to dynamically link
and really thought about the license (written, spirit, and understood by the
community), he either would have used LGPL or explicitly said you could (like
Linus did), IMHO.

David Starner - dstarner98 at aasaa.ofe.org
Only a nerd would worry about wrong parentheses with
square brackets. But that's what mathematicians are.
   -- Dr. Burchard, math professor at OSU