Dynamic and Static Linking

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue Apr 4 04:38:53 UTC 2000

On Mon, 03 Apr 2000, David Starner wrote:

> But that's not true in many cases. For instance, anything RMS wrote. And
> even in the cases which it is true, (something I wrote, say) you can often
> ask the author. Otherwise, if the author really wanted you to dynamically link
> and really thought about the license (written, spirit, and understood by the
> community), he either would have used LGPL or explicitly said you could (like
> Linus did), IMHO.

In the case of RMS's own software, I know precisely what he wants. But
it is not clear with most other authors. The point is, either I take
the license at its face value, or I throw it out *completely*. After
all, if a developer wanted to allow me to dynamically link, he could do
one of several things: 1) use the LGPL which specifically grants it, or
2) use the GPL which does not specifically restrict it.

--
David Johnson...