Dynamic and Static Linking

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue Apr 4 03:53:00 UTC 2000

On Mon, 03 Apr 2000, John Cowan wrote:

> Whatever arguments there may be for the "restricted dynamic linking"
> position (including the moral issue, which I think is substantial),
> this one won't fly.  Header files almost certainly don't have the
> necessary originality to be themselves copyrightable: there is a form/content
> merger.

I would normally agree, but consider a liberal use of inline functions,
macros, etc. This is the rebut that I've normally heard. Personally, I
would discount macros as "metacode", but inlines are problematic.

I'm also curious about what you consider to be the "moral issue". I
would consider it wrong to use code in a way the author does not want
you to use it. But I have no other indication of what the author wants
beyond the text of the GPL. And since it is unclear at best whether the
GPL allows dynamic linking, I am left to my own guesswork.

--
David Johnson...