[PublicPolicy] Open Sourcing Government Code

Jim Hall jhall at freedos.org
Thu May 28 18:30:25 UTC 2020

My quick introduction as suggested by Patrick:
I'm Jim Hall, and I have been involved in open source since 1993. I've
worked in/on tons of open source projects since then, but I'm probably most
closely connected with FreeDOS <https://www.freedos.org/> and GNOME
<https://www.gnome.org/>.

I served as CIO in local government for 3+ years (and CIO in higher ed for
an additional 5 1/2 years before then) and continue to work with state and
local governments as part of my consulting practice.

In 2018, I wrote an article for Gov CIO Outlook about The Next Step is Open
Source
<https://homeland-security.govciooutlook.com/cioviewpoint/the-next-step-is-open-source-nid-269.html>
where
I argued that governments have already embraced open data, and the next
step should be open source of tools and other software developed in-house.
Gov CIO Outlook is print-first, so they didn't include my links when they
ran the article. **I tried to attach the PDF to my email but it was too
big. I've temporarily shared it
here: The-next-step-is-open-source-article.pdf
<http://The-next-step-is-open-source-article.pdf>*

I had a productive discussion with the Minnesota State CIO (Commissioner
Tarek Tomes) earlier this year, discussing how to get Minnesota to open
source its own tools - our meeting was literally *right after* Minnesota
announced our first confirmed case of COVID19. I haven't been able to meet
with Comm. Tomes since then.

Jim