[PublicPolicy] Legalities of releasing software as OSS

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY CCDC ARL (USA) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Thu May 28 15:02:10 UTC 2020

The US Government has an initiative to release more code as OSS (see https://sourcecode.cio.gov/ and https://sourcecode.cio.gov/OSS/), but different agencies have run into a stumbling block with actually doing the release.  The issue is that the US Government (USG) does not permit its works to have copyright attached within US jurisdiction, which means that it is an open question as to whether or not USG works are permitted to use standard, copyright-based licenses.  Do other countries have similar issues?  How have they dealt with the problems?

Thanks,
Cem Karan

Disclaimer: My statements, comments, and other material are my own and do not represent any official US Government positions or policies.