[PublicPolicy] Open Sourcing Government Code

Matthias Kirschner mk at fsfe.org
Thu May 28 03:57:42 UTC 2020

Hello Shimon, Hello all,

Before I reply just a quick introduction as suggested by Patrick: My
name is Matthias and I work for the Free Software Foundation Europe. I
am involved in talking about software freedom to people from the public
administration and politicians since 2004 and I am happy to have more
exchange with other organisations around the world about this. If you
are interested you can find more background in the link in my e-mail
signature.

* Shimon Shore [2020-05-27 18:02 +0200]:

[...]

> Why should a government open source their code?

That's a question we received a lot during the years. Meanwhile as a
first step we often use this short 3:37 minute video on
https://publiccode.eu/#about available in English, French, German,
Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and we would love to have more
languages. (The Open Letter there is also supported by many
organisations whom I suspect here on the list
https://publiccode.eu/openletter/ .)

After this initial argumentation about the "why" we often use the
brochure: https://fsfe.org/campaigns/publiccode/brochure (in English,
German, Czech, and Brazilian Portuguese) providing some more background
about software freedom, some examples, etc.

Hope this is helpful,

Best regards,
Matthias

--
Matthias Kirschner - President - Free Software Foundation Europe
Schönhauser Allee 6/7, 10119 Berlin, Germany | t +49-30-27595290