[License-discuss] Open Source license question

Chris B kindlysendme at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 04:07:00 UTC 2024

Hi all!

I am an open source project maintainer and I was referred to this mailing
list recently as a good place to ask questions.

I was recently told by a community member that I should not be using the
term "Open Source" as it has legal implications and the project doesn't
fully embrace that term. Here is the argument:

1- The program has an optional paid component (not open source). The core
program (that is open source) is fully functional as a stand-alone
application. But the user has the option to pay for extra features that are
not open source

2- The program has an optional telemetry that users can opt in / opt out
before even installing the program.

3- Because of 1 & 2, there is a License Terms doc that outlines what is
open source and what is not, and how the telemetry data is being used and
what is being sent out.

I have personally seen all of the above in other software that have an
"Open Source" label. But wanted to check with this group if there are any
legal implications that I am missing here.

Examples that I have found related to the points above:
#1- Ubuntu (paid support, backup etc)
#2- Syncthing data: https://data.syncthing.net/
#3- VSCode https://code.visualstudio.com/license

Happy to hear your thoughts!