[License-discuss] OSI's purely-neutral policy position on production of proprietary software (was Re: Query on "delayed open source" licensing)

lrosen at rosenlaw.com lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Oct 30 23:55:26 UTC 2023

Stefano Maffulli wrote:

Various OSI leaders have indicated that they agree that proprietary software is harmful over the years, and, as such I had thought there had already been a position change by OSI from being neutral about proprietary software toward a pro-software-rights position that sees proprietary software as fundamentally harmful to society.

Who voted? When?

I am strongly in favor of open source software. I do not, however, share your belief that proprietary software is “fundamentally harmful to society.” When was that position fully discussed and argued? Are there exceptions for simultaneous open source and proprietary versions? Are there exceptions for software licensed under dangerous “open source” terms that affect “accompanying” proprietary software? Must consumers avoid all proprietary software on their computers no matter its value?

Or is freedom still a choice?

/Larry Rosen

BCC:

Lawrence Rosen

707-478-8932

3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482

Russ, thanks for clarifying this point as one of OSI's leaders.

This statement needs a clarification: Russ is a *thought* leader of the Open Source *movement*. While I find his opinions valuable and appreciated, as well as his knowledge of history, he's not involved in leading OSI, the organization.

It's worth reminding that the current leadership of the Open Source Initiative (OSI) is made of an Executive Director (me) and the board, which is mostly made of people elected by the community of members (individuals and other non profits): We lead the organization, convening conversations within a movement with a wide variety of valuable thinkers.

Various OSI leaders have indicated that they agree that proprietary software
is harmful over the years, and, as such I had thought there had already been
a position change by OSI from being neutral about proprietary software
toward a pro-software-rights position that sees proprietary software as

fundamentally harmful to society.

We agree that it is harmful to society, and that's one of the reasons why OSI joined the Digital Public Goods Alliance, for example.

Bradley, thanks for sharing your concerns.  We'll continue to fund research and document our methodology across all our mission-driven program areas.

thanks,

stef